Sunday, October 16, 2011

Faith and Strength...


…..trying to build them both is no easy feat.
Faith. A little background… I was born, and raised Catholic. Roman Catholic to be exact. In a small town primarily made up of Italian families. I reluctantly attended a catholic school until the 6th grade, when I begged my mother to allow me to switch to a public school. It was really a matter of life or death (or at least, to a then 12 year old it seemed to be!) Every Saturday evening my sister and I went to church with my grandparents. After getting ready, and a quick last minute “tinkle” we were out the door. Only then, to sit (stand, kneel, sing, pray, repeat) for an hour. My grandmother nudging my grandpa to awake him from his old-man-boredom slumber, and Jessica and I downing a whole role of mints or orange Tic Tac's to keep us entertained.
As I grew older, I naturally began to question certain aspects of my religion. The more I did this, the further away my hold on faith became. Though I experienced some trials and tribulations, rather than strengthening my bond with God, I feel it’s weakened it some.
So now, I’m left to figure things out. I feel as though I'm starting over. But in the way I'm supposed to start fresh. Not by being forced in to something, but by jumping in, with my own will leading the way. I began with a few trips to my mother-in-law's church. She is a Born Again Christian. At times, she's pretty hard core. I know she is just doing what her God is telling her to do, and I can't fault her for that. She's actually helping me... opening my eyes to some things. I started a Bible study with her and a few other women. I'm Enjoying it so far. They tell me that God is working on me, and I feel that they might be right. So, I pray, and listen. Hopefully He'll guide me to where ever my path is, so I can find my way again, and let go of my fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment